Quick Facts About The Philadelphia Foundation
- Established: 1918
- Status: 501(c)(3) - a public charity
- Overview: We are a permanent pool of philanthropic resources contributed by thousands of donors to benefit charitable organizations in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties.
- Roles: We manage charitable funds for families, businesses and nonprofits. We award distributions from these funds as grants and scholarships. We convene groups to act upon overarching civic issues. We provide training to help the nonprofit sector become more self-sufficient.
- Grant Focus Areas: We believe that the health, well-being and growth of the Greater Philadelphia region depends upon strong communities comprised of healthy, well-educated, skilled, culturally inspired and economically independent individuals and families. To better serve these communities, we nurture a high-performing nonprofit sector through capacity-building grants that strengthen organizational effectiveness through investment in business and management practices that enable organizations to better meet their missions.
- Full-time Staff: 28
- Grants Awarded: $20 million annually
- Number of Funds Under Management: Over 800... and growing!
- Total Giving Ranking: Second among local foundations; among the 25 top regional foundations; fifth overall (when national/international foundations added to the mix) according to The Philadelphia Business Journal 2010 Partners in Philanthropy section. TPF gave more than both the Lenfest and the Comcast Foundations.
- Organizational Memberships: