For nonprofits serving this population:
Priority given to:
Those able to demonstrate that at least 50% of those they serve or represent are low-income.
Common requirements for all grant applicants:
- 501(c)(3) IRS determination letter.
- List of Board of Directors and their affiliations.
- Three years of financial data (e.g. audits, IRS Forms 990, etc.)
- One Full Time Equivalent (FTE) Staff Person.
- Current PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations Certificate
- Copy of current strategic plan.
- Board-approved Nondiscrimination Policy that is in compliance with the Philadelphia Foundation’s non-discrimination policy
- Organizational Budget.
- Not an ineligible organization.
- Operating Budget above $100,000.
- No deficit of more than 10% for prior three years.
- No more than two years of deficits for prior three years.
- Must complete child abuse clearance and criminal background checks for all staff and volunteers who work with youth.
- Written, board-approved policies regarding whistle-blowing, conflict of interest, and document retention and destruction.
- Interim or permanent executive leadership in place for at least three months.
- Limited familial relationships among board and staff members.
Amounts of grants:
Not more than 7% of the organization’s budget.
Types of projects funded:
Organizations seeking advocacy unrestricted grants should demonstrate a strong history of advocating on behalf of vulnerable populations. Grants to organizations that are national or state-wide will be pro-rated based upon their work in Greater Philadelphia.
The 2019 application deadline is July 26.