For nonprofits serving this population:
Greater Philadelphia (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties in PA and Burlington and Camden counties in NJ). Organizations must support Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) and other historically marginalized and under-invested communities.
Priority given to:
Those able to demonstrate that at least 70% of those they serve or represent are low-income and are considered marginalized.
Common requirements for all grant applicants:
- 501(c)(3) IRS determination letter.
- List of Board of Directors and their affiliations.
- Most recent audit (if not available, IRS Form 990 or Profit/Loss statement)
- One Full Time Equivalent (FTE) Staff Person.
- Current PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations Certificate
- Executive summary of current strategic plan or logic model.
- Board-approved Nondiscrimination Policy that is in compliance with the Philadelphia Foundation’s non-discrimination policy
- Organizational Budget.
- Not an ineligible organization.
- Operating Budget above $100,000.
- No deficit of more than 10% for prior three years.
- No more than two years of deficits for prior three years.
- Must complete child abuse clearance and criminal background checks for all staff and volunteers who work with youth.
- Written, board-approved policies regarding whistle-blowing, conflict of interest, and document retention and destruction.
- Interim or permanent executive leadership in place for at least three months.
- Limited familial relationships among board and staff members.
Amounts of grants:
Grant amounts range between $15,000 and $30,000. Grants to organizations that are national or state-wide will be pro-rated based upon their work in Greater Philadelphia.
Types of projects funded:
Funds may be used for all mission-related activities including education, organizing, coalition building, contributions to capital campaigns and endowments and operational costs.
To be considered for a grant in April 2021, apply by Feb. 12.
To be considered for a grant in June 2021, apply by April 16.
To be considered for grant in November 2021, apply by Sept. 10.