For nonprofits serving this population:
Priority given to:
- Those able to demonstrate that at least 50% of those they serve or represent are low-income
- Those with operating budgets under $5 million
Common requirements for all grant applicants:
- Operating budget less than $10 million
- 501c3 status
- List of Board of Directors and their affiliations
- Three years of financial data (e.g. audits, IRS Forms 990, etc.)
- One Full Time Equivalent (FTE) Staff Person
- Current PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations Certificate
- Copy of current strategic plan
- In compliance with the Philadelphia Foundation’s non-discrimination policy
- Not an ineligible organization
- No deficit of more than 10% for prior three years.
- No more than two years of deficits for prior three years.
- Operating Budget above $100,000.
- Must complete child abuse clearance and criminal background checks for all staff and volunteers who work with youth.
- Written, board-approved policies regarding whistle-blowing, conflict of interest, and document retention and destruction.
- Interim or permanent executive leadership in place for at least three months.
- Limited familial relationships among board and staff members.
Amounts of grants:
Not more than 7% of the organization’s budget.
Types of projects funded:
Organizations seeking direct service grants should demonstrate a strong history of effective programs that serve on behalf of vulnerable populations, strong management practices, sound fiscal performance and strong leadership at the board and staff levels. Grants to organizations that are national or state-wide will be pro-rated based upon their work in Greater Philadelphia.
The 2020 deadline is April 6.